The report sums up and integrates findings and research results on the subject of activities and effectiveness of OSH professionals. It is based on the company survey as part of the general evaluation of Joint German Occupational Safety and Health Strategy (2011) and "Sifa-Langzeitstudie" a longitudinal survey with OSH professionals (2004-2012). The objective is to identify courses of action in order to enhance the support and guidance (supervision) of employers according to the German Occupational Safety Act. Furthermore the report aims to indicate parameters of an effective support. Both studies descend from different context and are characterised by their diverse interests and objectives. By means of a three-level-scheme, determining factors on an effective supervision were extracted or generated via secondary analyses. Firstly, structural data were aligned as unalterable factors and processed as common basis for following interpretations. Secondly, assessed forms and types of supervision were analysed. On the third level working conditions for OSH professionals were evaluated and their activities in the company or inter-company activities described. Main determining factors are
- Arrangement of the different supervision types and forms as well as the choice of the supervision groups (according to DGUV regulation 2) and the quality of supervision
- Shapes of safety and health culture and OSH management respectively singular formal regulation and furthermore access to the corporate management
- Information and motivation of employers associated with alternative, demand-based supervision
- Manager trainings on safety and health and knowledge of regulations and rules
- Prioritized tasks by OSH professionals focused on assessment of working conditions, human workplace design and health promotion
- Variation across sectors and branches in regard to all other factors
- Selection of companies which were supervised or advised by supervisors of the Accident Insurance Institutions and Labour Inspectorate officers of the federal states as well as the quality of cooperation
In conclusion, recommendation for action on company and inter-company level and research needs were deduced.
Please download the complete report "Company and supra-company influential factors on the activities and effectiveness of OSH professionals" (in German only).
W. Hamacher, C. Eickholt, S. Riebe:
Ergebnisse der Sifa-Langzeitstudie und der GDA-Betriebsbefragung 2011 (Gutachten).
1. edition. Dortmund: Bundesanstalt für Arbeitsschutz und Arbeitsmedizin 2015.
ISBN: 978-3-88261-164-9, pages 314, Project number: F 2342, PDF file