Unit 5.3 Biocide Procedure, Assessment of Active Substances and Efficacy
The Chemicals Act (ChemG) appoints the Federal Office for Chemicals (BfC) at the Federal Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (BAuA) as the authorisation unit for biocides. In the course of implementing Regulation (EU) No. 528/2012, it regulates the authorisation and making available on the market of biocidal products.
Unit 5.3 has the following responsibilities in the biocides procedure:
- designing and coordinating the procedure for approval of biocidal active substances;
- processing applications for the inclusion of biocidal active substances in the Union list of approved active substances within the context of the Biocidal Products Regulation;
- designing, coordinating and implementing the efficacy assessment of active substances and biocidal products for the intended use and developing testing strategies and evaluation standards, with the participation of other specialist authorities if necessary;
- commenting on risk and efficacy assessments for active substances of other Member States;
- addressing general and fundamental questions regarding the procedure for inclusion of active substances in the Union list of approved active substances;
- participating and representing German interests in the collaboration with the European Commission, the European Chemicals Agency (ECHA), the other EU Member States and the states of the OECD;
- providing expert advice to authorities of the federal states;
- providing information for industry, authorities, ministries and the public as well as holding symposia on specific topics;
- participation in the REACH-CLP-Biozid Helpdesk; collaborating with the other Member States on matters of European significance.