Unit 4.6 Hazardous Substances Management
The main tasks of unit 4.6 'Hazardous Substance Management' are as follows:
- The continued development of national and EU regulations regarding chemicals and hazardous substances legislation.
Promotion of the use of chemical products or processes with a low health risk
- by substituting hazardous substances
- with safe chemical products to ensure sustainable development in the chemicals industry.
- Internationalisation of occupational safety standards and requirements for chemical products.
- Instruments and methods used to provide information about chemical products and company-internal information transfer (labelling, safety data sheet, chemicals safety report, operating instructions and training).
- Concepts and practical assistance in the application of regulations related to chemicals.
- Organisation awarding the German Award for Protection against Hazardous Substances.
The management board of the Committee on Hazardous Substances forms part of this unit. Another main task is participation in the Committee on Hazardous Substances, especially when it comes to formulating basic technical rules and concepts regarding occupational health and REACH and the management of activities involving carcinogenic substances.
The Easy-to-use workplace control scheme for hazardous substances (EMKG) is being managed and developed as a practical aid.
When it comes to the classification and labelling of hazardous substances and to safety data sheets, the unit participates in the committees for the further development of regulations on hazardous substances information and compiles practical aids.
The division acts as the Assessment Unit REACH for Occupational Safety and Health. Unit 4.6 particularly deals with authorisation and restriction procedures, incorporating socio-economic analysis and with the REACH-CLP-Biozid Helpdesk of the Federal Authorities.